Tuesday 31 October 2017

A Superb Visit to Khotachi Wadi Village in Mumbai



After living in Mumbai for a significant part of my life, I have understood one thing that I am not a person who is made for constant commotion of the metropolitans. However, it is also true that I cannot escape this life because I have to sustain a reasonable standard of life, which is possible only in the urban cities. One place where I love going for a weekend getaway is the Khotachi Wadi village in the city; it is a tiny settlement in the Girgaum district of South Mumbai. People know this hamlet mainly because of the Chowpatty beach, but I try to explore things beyond that whenever I go there. I have a coincidental buddy who lives in the houses constructed in Portuguese style. Most of the people here are the original inhabitants of Mumbai, the East Indian Christians who came here more than a hundred years ago.  

The bright colors of the houses and their multi-storied structures are quite rare in the central city where tall skyscrapers are a familiar sight. The high ceilings of the enormous rooms behind the long-standing verandahs are a sigh of relief when you come from the congested apartments. I do not have any choice but to live in a tiny dwelling in the city, which I do not like very much because I come from Punjab where I have been brought up in huge Haveli style houses. The quiet ambiance of this place at my friend, Mahesh's house lets me relax and spend a good time with his family. I always go there early in the morning just to be able to smell the Goan and Konkan cuisines, most of which are made of fish. I never had much of fish during my childhood, but it was a fantastic experience to experiment with various varieties of it and fall in love with it.  

Mahesh's mother and wife, both are fantastic cooks, and they prepare such mouth-watering cuisines that I cannot help but lick every bit of food in my plate. They have even trained the male folk of the house to cook brilliant dishes. So whenever, the females of the house are not in a mood to toil in the kitchen; the men bring the kitchen to the verandah and cooking becomes a household activity. My wife and I enjoy being with these people, who are not indulged in the rat race of existence and triumph like us.

I work for Self-Drive Car Rental Mumbai, and it is easy for me to take a car and reach any corner of the city. It was just by chance that I met Mahesh while walking on the streets of Khotachi Wadi; I was asking for the directions to the chapel in the village. He accompanied me to the place rather than just guiding me with the instructions. I had loved his gesture of hospitality, which is rare in Mumbai. While talking to him for a while on our way, he told me quite a few things about the chapel and showed me the scenes depicting the birth time of Jesus. I found the mural of Virgin Mary with baby Jesus particularly amazing because of its simplicity. Mahesh told me that the villagers had constructed the chapel in 1899 to express gratitude to Jesus after they persisted the plague. 


After a few years of friendship with Mahesh, I realize that even Khotachi Wadi is gradually being converted into an urban town. The springing of high rise buildings poses a threat to the austerity of this place. Anyway, until we have time to enjoy the serenity of this little hamlet, I do not want to waste a minute that I can spend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment