Sunday 22 October 2017

How I overcame the fear of beginning my solo trip



I always believed that the solo trip is not a big deal, but the beginning of it is definitely scary. Even though I had planned my first solo trip to Coorg as perfectly as I could, I was still petrified to sit in the bus to my dream destination. However, it was only when a week was left to leave, I started calming down, and my fears became subtler than before. I also realized that no matter how headstrong I was, I could not avoid a few things around me. Wherever I go in the world, I have to adjust with a lot of things. I cannot change the perception of every person towards a solo female traveler, modify the culture of a place, and find out every little thing that comforts me.

Anyway, I had already decided that no matter how scared I felt inside my heart, I would not let my vulnerability show in my persona. I will deal with the challenges on my own, and ask for help only when I cannot do without it. After I journeyed to Coorg and reached there, I fathomed that most of the problems almost always came with a solution. I found myself developing a toleration for issues I had never even faced, and honestly, I managed it well. At the end of the trip, I felt proud of myself that my first solo trip was a success.

Dealing with security 

No one else is responsible for the security of a person, but the person himself, except in the extreme situations of course. After living independently in Bangalore for more than five years, I had already realized that an under-confident person is more susceptible to crime. It's not always the attire that attracts the attention of wicked men in India or abroad, but the timidity of a person encourages dominance. I made sure that I covered my body well with loose-fitted clothes, and walked with confidence even though I did not feel the self-assurance in my heart.

Concerning my belongings, I never left my valuables in the open and kept an eye on the people around me. I kept a watch that no one followed me wherever I went. It was tiring at times to be so watchful at all times, but the worth of being all on my own at such a beautiful destination never let me complain. It was a huge confidence boost for me when I realized that people were not at all bad at every place. It's just that I have to be cautious with people than feeling sorry later. I must say that I did not find a single person in Coorg from whom I could sense a threat. Considering the relative safety of a place was the first thing in my mind even when I had not finalized the destination. Still, I never went to the lonely places alone to be on the safer side.

Being in contact with someone at home was the other thing that I strictly followed. I am in my early twenties, and I understand the concern of my loved ones towards me. I made sure that at least one or two persons in my hometown or Bangalore knew everything about my whereabouts. One of my friend works in Car rentals Bangalore, and he had assured me that I could call him anytime if I wanted to return immediately from Coorg. I sent him the updates about my locations and activities so that at least one person can reach me in case I need help. Being carefree is different from being carefree. I took my safety seriously, which really helped me have a good time even with strangers. Just a little bit of pretending went a long way in making friends with strangers. Anyway, my first solo trip was indeed unforgettable, and I am grateful to God that I could finally make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment