Tuesday 24 April 2018

How Staying in India Made Me a Better Person

It may be too soon to write a blog like this, but I cannot wait to state that my stint of a year in India made me a better person. I hail from Sweden, and my mother brought me up in the cold environment of a society where people live an individualistic life. When I came to India for a job, I sensed that I had done the opposite thing of coming from Sweden to India. The common trend is that Indians go to my home country to seek better employment. Anyway, I was associated with a Japanese firm in my city, which required me to handle their operations in India for a few months. I, at first, detested at the announcement as I had heard a lot of horror stories about the country. However, I love to admit that India changed me for better and I was a changed person when I left after ten months.
Food is to share
On my first day in office, I had a great time while smiling back all the time at the welcoming colleagues. During lunch time, I went to the cafeteria to buy a couple of sandwiches. As soon as I grabbed a chair to begin my lunch, a few of my teammates banged open the door and said Hi to me. After they came to my table with their warmed up tiffin boxes in hands, the aroma of their delicious food filled the room. Before I could speak up, all of them presented their food in front of me, and simply said, "Have it." I couldn't do anything but oblige. I was happy to share my cold sandwiches with them in exchange for their fragrant rice and curries. The other great thing that I learned about Indians is that they love eating with their hands. They would wash their hands before lunch and eat food with their hands and a couple of spoons. No forks and knives come into play while eating Indian cuisines; they are required only for continental foods.
The vibrancy of India 
Throughout my life, I have seen very few bright colors. I have always seen men and women dressed in grey, black, white, and beige. Ladies in India love to dress in vibrant colors, and a few men as well. At every party, office meeting, or wedding I attended; I have seen them dressed in bold colors. Rather than making a woman feel guilty in office for wearing a bright saree, people love to compliment her. My hometown does not witness any such occurrence; people there are very strict about colors and clothing that makes the place at least visually dull.
Compassion
My friends from Mumbai once hired two Self Drive Cars in Pune to wander around the city. I have always seen poverty in India, and my friends warn me not to give alms to people as it encourages beggary. However, I make it a point not to haggle with children selling things on the streets, or the street vendors selling various articles and clothes. They do over-charge the foreigners than they do to the locals. However, if I can afford to pay a little more for a product, I do not mind doing so. Living in India has made me more compassionate towards the wealthy as well as the poor. Patience, endurance, and sympathy are required in enormous amounts to live a life like millions of people in India do. I salute these people who are made of steel to bear the unbearable circumstances all through their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment