Friday 13 April 2018

Life in Ahmedabad for an Outsider


Not for the sake of over-hyping it, but I am stating in genuinely that Ahmedabad is a city that can spoil you for life. After living there once, even after being born in North India, I always miss my time in the city of Gujjus. The city has had such an effect on me that now I don’t feel like I did in Ahmedabad during my stint of five years of job.

The Sabarmati riverfront

Since I lived close to the Sabarmati River, my day often began and ended with a session of hang out at the riverfront. The best part about this place is that it is clean and well-maintained unlike other rivers and beaches in India. Initially, I would go for cycling and boating, but I quit these activities later and opted to just sit there either alone or with friends. Being there at the Sabarmati River is pure bliss, which you can understand only when you spend leisurely time in Ahmedabad.

Safety for everyone

I had only heard that Gujrat is the safest state for women in India, but I never believed it unless I saw it myself. In my initial days, I would not step out of my house after 10 pm, but I always saw families and individuals going out alone at midnight without any prohibitions. I went out one day at 1 am to buy ice-cream with my friends, and I did not sense any danger for even a second! This was exceptionally unbelievable for someone who comes from the unsafe environment of Delhi.

Unlimited power supply

Since I come from that part of Delhi, where an hour of power supply cut off was normal and I had no problem with it. However, water was scarce in my locality even in the capital of India. However, after coming to Ahmedabad, I used to get unlimited supply of power and water, which has spoiled me for life. Now, I miss that luxury in Hyderabad a lot, but I know I cannot do anything about it.

Friendly people

Whenever you ask a Gujarati person about his wellbeing, he or she will always answer, ‘Majja maa’, which means they keep hale and hearty. Even if they have a dozen problems in their life, they would never show it on their face or vent out their personal frustration in the social life.

Open-minded

The Gujratis are very open-hearted by nature and accepting in nature for modern things. I have seen them accepting the urban trends quickly without much fuss. Maybe that is why; they have maximum number of businesses in India. When I started working for Car Rental Ahmedabad, I had doubts about the success of this business in the city. However, this place proved me wrong as the Gujjus are the most accommodating people in their conduct. They wholeheartedly accepted this concept and I could put myself in better shoes at office just because of the Gujjus unlike other cities where I worked.

Awareness

Being alert about the social issues and raising a voice against them is not very common in India as people usually tend to be busy in their daily lives. Especially in North India, or perhaps the entire country, people just survive and blame the system of India rather than acting on issues themselves. However in Ahmedabad, I have seen people being proactive rather than being a passive spectator.


I miss my time spent in Ahmedabad so much that given a chance to choose a city to live in India, I would definitely go for the city of the Gujjus.

No comments:

Post a Comment