Sunday 24 June 2018

How I Broke the News to My Parents on a Road Trip


It has to be tough sometimes, even for the parents, especially when they are Indian parents. I have no hesitation in admitting that I manipulate my parents when they apply the same tricks to me. The Indian parents have a nasty habit of altering almost every decision of their kid’s life, even when the decision seems legit.

So we had planned a trip to McLeodganj from our hometown in Delhi. We were already late while leaving from the house as we had to pick the Self Drive Cars Delhi Airport because of its proximity to our house. Anyway, we all packed our bags and left for the airport in a cab. Everything was going well, mom was packing her bags, dad was packing food, sister Shreya was busy packing her makeup, and I was chatting on my phone.

So we all left for the airport, picked up the car, and drove off to McLeodganj, which is more than 500 kilometers from Delhi. Dad and I love driving, so traveling to a far-off destination for more than 12-13 hours was not a problem for us. As soon as we reached the hills, I decided to break the important news to my family.

Me: Mom, Dad, I have to share something important with you guys.

Mom: What is it? Have you failed in your exams? I told you to study harder and quit playing cricket.

Dad: Do you need money for something?

Mom: Are you in love? I knew it. The look on your face tells me you have found someone on your own. I had already found someone for you. Now you will bring someone to our house and she will rule all of us.

Shreya: Mom, Dad, he has not even spoken a word about his matter yet.

Dad, who was enjoying driving on the serene hills, stopped the car and turned to me, “What is it, beta?”

(What is it, son?)

Me: See, this is something that has been bothering me for quite some time, but you all must know that I am homosexual. I like men.

Mom and Dad were aghast!

Their mouths dropped and tongues almost touched the floor of the car. Dad got out of the car, and Mom followed him as well. Now I was looking at Shreya, completely clueless. We also got out and turned to our parents.

Mom was crying and Dad was consoling her.

Mom: How could you do this to us? What will we say to the relatives?

Dad: Since when?

Me: I don’t know Dad, but I don’t find any interest in girls. I have a boyfriend and we plan to get married.

I could sense the cool air of the mountains around us suddenly fuming!

Mom: Please don’t do this Shreyas. We will find a good girl for you. You can also find one on your own if you like someone. We will not say a word. Just don’t marry a boy please.

Me: I don’t know Mom I will be able to do it or not. I love my boyfriend and I cannot leave him.

Mom was still sobbing, and Dad was still consoling her.

After ten minutes, I could not take it anymore.

I hugged Mom and told her that it was a joke. I am straight, not a homosexual person. Instead of smiling at me, she slapped me! And then hugged me.

Dad: We will have to get you married soon! This was a really bad joke!
I texted my girlfriend as I sat in the car, “Congratulations! Mission accomplished! We are getting married soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment