Thursday 28 June 2018

How I got lucky because of rental car in Delhi


My office is in Connaught Place in Delhi, and I commute by bus. Like every other day, it was Friday and I stepped out of the office to catch my bus at 6 pm. I was there at the same bus stop where I have been going to since the last two years. I rushed to reach the bus stop at 5:55 pm so that I do not miss the bus. Just when I was walking swiftly towards my destination, I felt a minor push from a man. I almost fell at the push, but I could not do anything about it. It is common for the Delhi-ites to push people to make way for themselves.

The man probably wanted to catch another bus, and hence ran after it. However, I could not reach my bus stop on time, and I could see the bus going away right in front of my eyes. I cussed that man for making me miss my bus, though he had caught his bus. Now I had to wait for another half an hour or more to find another bus on my route.

I took my phone out of the bag and got busy over various social media sites. What else I could do? I had to pass my time somehow. Occasionally, I would look up at other people indulged in talking, walking, and a few of them eating chana-bhel from the vendor at the bus stop. Just when I was about to get back to my phone, I saw a colleague from my office in a car that was decorated like a poster.

He stopped near me and told me to hop in. I gave him a puzzled look and said, “I have to wait for my bus. And how did you get this funny car?”

He laughed at my reaction, and said, “It’s from the promotional offer running by a company that gives car on rent. Jump in for a quick ride; I’ll drop in back in a few minutes. Else, I’ll drop you home.”

It was an interesting offer, indeed. I did not take me long to hop in for a quick ride.

Coincidentally, we drove in the direction of my bus route. After only a kilometer or more, I saw a huge crowd of people around one spot. We thought that there must be an accident. However, it turned out that the bus that I had just missed was overturned because the driver was trying to outpace someone. He could not control the vehicle and hence, the bus capsized.

I felt immediate gratitude for that man who had pushed me!

Luck was on my side that day. I had missed the bus for good.

I later learned that no one in the bus had been seriously injured, but a few passengers were admitted to the hospital for minor bandage. I reached home with my friend in that blessed Car Rental, and thanked God that at least I arrived safely, no matter a few minutes late.

No comments:

Post a Comment