Tuesday 19 June 2018

How I Met Funny People during My Visits to Home


I have been meeting hilarious people since the day I have joined college. However, the current times have become even funnier after I have started meeting girl’s for marriage. I belong to a small town in Gujrat and people over there, though innocent, are highly silly in their approach towards marriage. They have a typical old school arranged marriage in their mind where the girl, despite her education and income, should be a housewife after marriage. And even if she chooses to earn post-marriage, the husband should never look at her income. Else, he would be labelled as a sinister person.

Incident #1

I have a job in core engineering in Noida, and I happen to visit home only after 2-3 months. Over one visit last year, I was supposed to meet a girl and her family for marriage. I was in small talks with the family about various things about job and life in Noida and Delhi. I told them a few things about my life, and they told us about theirs. To my family, everything seemed positive and we hoped for an affirmative response later.

However, a week passed on before we received a call from them. The girl’s mother asked me to make my Facebook profile public so that they could see, rather scan my social life online. I must mention that drinking, even socially, is considered offensive in Gujrat. I knew that I have uploaded a few pictures of mine while drinking in the bars with friends. Therefore, I did not want to anyone to breach my privacy since I don’t find social drinking as an offense. I asked if I could add the girl as a friend to let her go through my profile rather than opening it all for the public. She was added, but of course, the family rejected me because I was a drunkard for them!

I knew it!

Incident #2

I had a project from Self-Drive Car Rental Bangalore airport that required me to travel to the city. Coincidentally, the mediator made me meet a girl in my hometown who worked in Bangalore, but hailed from the same city as mine. I met her to realize that she is an ambitious girl, which was the best thing about her, at least according to me even if it was not according to her parents.

Nevertheless, I met her in Bangalore a couple of times and talked over the phone once or twice a day. Everything was going well as we got along well on the lines of education, career, running the house, and raising the kids. I thought that I had found the ideal girl who was modern enough to live a decent metropolitan life, and traditional enough to run a household. We had agreed that even if we reject each other, we would communicate it to each other before we tell our parents.

Nonetheless, to my surprise, I was rejected again because the girl’s father told my father that I was a greedy person who eyed his wife’s income!

I was like, is it for real?

I was rejected twice for the most baseless reasons ever.

I could only realize that while meeting such people from my hometown, I could only have a fit of laughter, and never find a suitable girl to marry.

I communicated this to my parents and they shrugged shoulders and said that they cannot find the kind of girl I was looking for, and that I should do it myself!

So, here I am, enjoying my bachelor life in Noida!

No comments:

Post a Comment