Tuesday 3 July 2018

How I Won Over an Auto-Rickshaw Driver in Chennai


When you are in Chennai, you have to be  prepared for a difficult time while commuting. So here I was in the city during summers for a few months. While dealing with the tough office life for an outsider, I had to cook for myself. I found it especially painful when I had to make every effort to live a decent life, especially when I was alone. I live in Mumbai with a roommate, and I do not have any complaint doing the household chores, just because I have the company of a friend.

Anyway, I had to drop a friend at the Chennai Central as he had a train to catch. The train was supposed to arrive late at night. By the time I got free, it was already 11 pm. I knew what I had to face when I went out. I would have to catch an auto-rickshaw to drop me home, and they would charge me an exorbitant amount. The auto-rickshaw drivers in Chennai are known for their notorious behavior with the locals, as well as, tourists.

Just what I had thought; there was a chain of vacant auto-rickshaws outside the gate of the railway station. They all looked at me as their potential prey, and I knew what was going to happen in the next few minutes. I had only 8% battery remaining in my phone, which was going to nosedive sooner than expected, thanks to Apple iPhone. Still, I went ahead and reached an auto driver.

Me: Anna, Navy Nagar. How much? [Brother, take me to Navy Nagar. How much?]

Driver: 300 Rs. Bhaiya [300 INR brother]

Me: Anna, 300 is too much. It is only 4 kilometers from here.

Driver: No. It is not close, it is far. First time in Chennai?

Me: I live here. I just came here to drop someone. Can you see any bags with me?

Driver: Okay. 200 last.

Me: I booked an Uber for 60 Rs. only while coming here.

Driver: I did not see any Uber here. 

(His confidence was remarkable)

I was getting too frustrated by then. I took out my mobile and tried to book a cab again. It was because of such drivers in the city that I always preferred to use Self-Drive Cars in Chennai for longer routes. Anyway, I tried to book a cab on the meager battery of my phone, which had dipped to 5% by then. The driver kept looking into my phone while I booked the cab. Suddenly, my phone got turned off.

Driver: Bhaiya, phone off ho gaya. Aajao. Pay 150 Rs. (There was a huge smirk on his face)

[Brother, your phone is off now. Come and pay 150 INR]

I chose to ignore him. My Uber arrived in a few minutes and I entered into it like a celebrity. I switched on my mobile (I had deliberately switched it off), rolled down the window, and showed the screen to the auto driver. I had to pay only 60 INR for the ride)

Now I had a huge grin on my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment