Wednesday 19 September 2018

My Experience of Trying New Foods in India


During my entire life in Israel, whenever I thought of visiting India, I had never thought of skipping the Indian street food. However, when it came to actually visiting India, I went through the articles online, and they literally scared me out. Almost every article about tips to visit India talked about not trying the street food, and it was a huge disappointment for me. However, I went deeper into the details, asked a few friends, and finally decided that I would surely devour these delicacies, but from the trusted sellers.

So, here I was in Mumbai as my first stop in India. After I dropped my bags in my hotel, I straightaway asked the hotel reception for the nearby seller where I can get batata-wada, wada-pao and pani-puri. He stared at me as if I had come from Mars. I could understand this poor guy’s confusion and I told him that I had already researched well about the Indian food and that I wanted to try every possible thing.

He guided me to locate a few outlets, and also suggested me to try things like Bombay sandwich, paav bhaji, sev puri, kandha pohe, thaali peeth, and aamras. I felt grateful to him for the information that he gave me, and just rushed out of the place to see places and stuff my tummy with the delicacies of Mumbai.

My next stop was in Bangalore and the food traveler in me wanted to explore the foods of this city as well. There is no one stopping me when it comes to sniffing out foods. Now I had my list of target cuisines ready with me, but I needed a car to travel around since the public transport is not so great in the city. I hired a Self Drive Car Rental Bangalore Innova from a mobile app, and rushed to find out what I wanted. I tried the famous masala dosa, apple pie, Andouille Sausage on Sourdough Toast, mangalore buns, dal obattu, idla vada, sambhar vada, bhaji and filet kaapi, rolls and kebabs.
By the end of my four days of stint in Bangalore, I was stuffed badly and I took rest for a day while eating only salads and drinking juices. It was relaxing for sure. Eating so much can be pure bliss, but it messes with the body weight for sure. I could not follow my passion for food for the next two days, and sufficed with eating only light foods at a friend’s place. Her mother made me eat khichdi and daliya on my special request because Indians never treat their guests with such foods that are meant for patients. She wanted to cook butter paneer and chicken biryani for me as she is a brilliant cook. However, it was amusing to see disappointment on her face as she had to feed a foreigner guest at her home with plain khichdi. Her dialogues were priceless! And my journey as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment