Wednesday 10 October 2018

How I Manage the Challenges of Solo Travel

While the challenges of solo travel do put me off sometimes, I do not intend to quit this form of traveling anyway. I have realized that everything we choose in life comes with pros and cons, and so is the case with solo and group travel both. You cannot control the challenges both forms of travel offer. That is why; I prefer to deal with the challenges of solitary vacations rather than group travel.

Dealing with heavy bags 

I am not a typical solo backpacker who travels with minimum stuff. In fact, I like to pack everything I use at home for my daily needs, including a travel iron. I cannot stand crumpled or unwashed clothes, which implies there many choices of garments in my luggage. I also like to pack various toiletries in small bottles, my towel, a couple of shoes, books, power bank, documents, and anything that comes to my mind. However, it means that I have to be prepared to deal with the challenge of keeping my things secure at public places, especially when I have to use the washroom. I have rarely asked a stranger to look after my luggage when I have to go to a bathroom urgently. I try to relieve myself whenever I get a chance even if I do not feel the urgent need of it. It has helped me escape many embarrassing situations when my luggage is not in safe hands.

Stay at one place 

My thumb rule of traveling alone on public transport is that I book only one hotel for my entire stay in a hill station, even if it means I have to travel more to visit places. It saves me the hassle of carrying my luggage around and I don’t have to drag it unnecessarily. Staying in one hotel also lets me haggle for some discount for single occupancy room at times. I have also stayed at traveler hostels to save money. For going around different places, I like it better to use public transport with just a small backpack that contains my essentials. Yet, it I have the budget for a Self-Drive Car hire, I can book multiple hotels in just one vacation since there is no trouble carrying my luggage in the car.

Clicking photos

Since I don’t like selfies, it is certainly a pain to ask strangers to click photos for me. And for such a photo freak that I am, I do not feel satisfied if the photo does not turn out well. I would pester the same person again, or another stranger, if I have to, and ask them to take the pain for me. I have heard many solo travelers complaining about this aspect of vacationing alone that they cannot get photos to their hearts content because they do not have a friend along. And nagging strangers for the same does not look good. My reply to such friends is that you have to be a little shameless to get that perfect shot at the beach or the mountaintop. What else would you do? Come home and regret that you did not have the courage to ask someone? Never!

Eating alone

Dining out alone is also another annoying aspect of solo travel at times, but not always. I like to eat in peace and watch people indulged in jokes with their families. Whenever I feel like having a meal with someone, I try to strike a conversation with a kid or the parents.

Solo travel in India is a dynamic experience that lets me explore different people and places. Despite the trials it throws in my face, I would continue traveling alone, no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment