Monday 12 November 2018

How I Keep Myself Productive While Traveling


I hate travel, especially business travel. Having said that, I must add to it that I love personal travel. I have to travel because my office asks me to do that at least twice a month. However, I have to keep myself productive because first, I have too much of work, and two, I don’t like to sit idle. People call me workaholic, but I don’t care. I do talk to people, but when I have time and willingness to do so. Let me write about how I maintain my sanity when I have too much time on my road trips or flights.

Work on less intensive work

When I am in office, I have many stressful jobs to do. However, I cannot have the same ambiance of my office at a bus station in Roorkee in North India. It is way too much to expect. Rather than cribbing over the lack of private space, I plug in my earphones and gather the less productive work. I can check my emails, pay the bills, register on a few freelancing websites, and do anything that seems too mundane in office. I hate doing these chores when I have more important things to do. But traveling gives me time to accomplish all these seemingly trivial but important things to do.

Advance planning

I have traveled to Bangalore from Delhi at least a few dozen times by now, which has made me experienced enough to understand what I should expect from the city. The situation of traffic, for example, is bad around my office in Bangalore. So I book a cab to reach from airport to office or hotel, and I use the time to do my pending things as I wrote above. However, when I have to travel for leisure around the nearby hill stations, I simply take a Car Hire in Bangalore and set off for the gorgeous hills. Similarly, whenever I have too much time to spend on an airport, I make sure that I carry my laptop charger, a novel to read, at least one academic book, and a power bank for my phone. I hate it if the battery of any of my gadgets goes too low to work. All these things need prior planning and I cannot go without it.

Adjustments, adjustments, and adjustments

Travel is just another name for adjustment and compromise, just like marriage. Even though I am not married, I can still say that I am lucky enough to have gained enough experience of adjusting to adverse situations. I hope it will help to cope with my married life. Nevertheless, without getting distracted from the topic, I should mention what I do to not feel distracted from my work. I know that I can use the headphones and listen to some really loud music, but it is not healthy throughout the journey. I feel several distractions while working in office as well, but I have learned to focus really hard on my work, no matter what is going on around me.

When it comes to kids getting cranky at an airport, I have to ignore them and focus on my work. Sometimes, I have a presentation to give within a few hours of landing in another city, and I cannot pay attention to the mess around me. Therefore, I have trained myself to just concentrate, despite everything.

Isn’t it a blessing in disguise to have developed so many traits just by traveling for work? I feel great when I look back at what I have achieved and I have so many milestones to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment