Monday 11 March 2019

Why Solo Trips are Not My Cup of Tea


There was a time when I was crazy about solo road trips, and then I got bored of them!
Yes, I got bored of something that drives the entire world mad. On my first road trip to the hills of Himachal Pradesh, I had a lot of fun on my own. It was pleasant living in a hostel for the first time. The dorms of the room appealed me so much that I wanted to live there forever. However, I met two girls in the dorm who were staying in the same room on the same bed for six months. It was too difficult to visualize a life where you have only one bed and a small cupboard that can accommodate only a few clothes. I used to live in a paying guest accommodation at that time, and even a small closet would appear too petite to me. I wonder how these girls were managing without proper arrangement for their clothes and other stuff. I dropped the idea of staying for too long in a hostel! My PG was better than that.

Then again, after a 2-3 more solo trips, I realized that I cannot travel like this forever. It becomes too boring at times to be in a new city and not be able to share my experiences with anyone. Yes, I can make new friends at all times, or that is what I always thought about solo travelers. However, I realized that even after being an extrovert person, I can only make good acquaintances, not friends. I don’t trust people easily and I don’t reveal too much about myself to anyone unless I am too sure about the person. I did meet many people like me who would like to share a meal with me, or talk to me for a few minutes, but the conversation would become too boring to continue after a while. That is when I would start missing my friends with whom I could talk my heart out.

Cost is also an important factor when it comes to enjoying a luxurious trip. When I have to decide the mode of transportation, for example, I have to choose the public transport since I cannot afford to hire a Self-Drive Car on rent Delhi as it would burn a hole in my pocket. I have to be with a group of 3-4 people to share the costs of expensive activities so that we all can share the burden. There is no scope of sharing the expenses with anyone when I am all alone on a road trip.

Getting bored is also something that kills me. Although I have my books with me whenever I travel, I still look forward to talking to someone. Reading cannot provide the inner satisfaction at all times; I do need someone to crack jokes and gossip about people when I am out of the city. Nonetheless, after being to so many solo and group road trips, I would prefer to travel with a group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment