Tuesday 26 September 2017

Taking a Break from My Job as a Teller in a Bank



Rustle and crunch of money sound like music to many of us, but the responsibility of handling so much of cash in a bank is a different story altogether. I have been working as a Teller in a private bank in Pune for almost two years now. It is quite exhausting to handle such a pressurizing job, especially in India where people are quite touchy about their money. I have to deal with a lot of people in just one day, and most of them are not aware of things happening in the bank. So I have to tell them about various formalities before they proceed to get their job done. 

When I began my job of being a Teller, I had thought that I just need to be good at mathematics and it will be an easy ride for me. However, it turned out to be a very stressful, yet pleasant job. The work environment inside the office is quite taxing, but the best part is that I don’t have to go out in the scorching heat or the freezing cold weather. I can comfortably be seated in my ergonomic desk and listen to the queries of the customers. 

My job description had clearly stated before I joined that I must possess the attention to detail. Now when it comes practically counting the money, I realize that I have to be super-attentive and know every second whether I just counted a hundred-rupee or a ten-rupee note. I have seen a few Tellers who have to count the bundles of notes several times when the machine is not working, and I cannot ignore that they do not last long in their jobs. With that level of the nerve-wracking environment in the bank, I have to make sure every second that I deliver the best of my potential.

Nevertheless, I get stressed out at times, and I cannot focus on my work. At such circumstances, I realize that I am on the verge of burning out and I need a break really soon. Sometimes, I think about working part-time as well to reduce the workload, but that will not pay my bills. Anyway, when I feel too much burned out, I just call up a few friends and try to convince at least two of them to go for a road trip on Pune car rentals as soon as possible. My friends mock at me when I tell them that I am on the verge of getting exhausted. They have an impression that I have an easy going job where I just have to count currency notes all the time. Nonetheless, they do not know that I have to provide superb customer service as well while handling money. I have to be extremely outgoing and highly organized, which can burn out even the most energetic staff in the bank. 

I understand that there is no use explaining all this to my friends, so I just ask them to book car rentals and accompany me for a road trip. Since most of us do not own a car, we prefer taking car rentals Pune so that we do not have conflicts later. Paying for a Service rules out the possibility of accountability and responsibility, and we can focus only on enjoying the vacation. We have taken several vacations just like that when my friends or I feel like escaping the hustle bustle of the city life. We are lucky to be in Pune as we have several options to go for a weekend getaway. Having said that, I do want to mention that even a demanding job can provide professional satisfaction when there is a proper work-life balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment