Tuesday 3 October 2017

How I Save on the Hotel Rooms in India



I, being a Delhi-ite, have learned since childhood how to save money on everything and fix every expensive thing with a Jugaad, or the substitute. The Jugaad comes naturally to all Indians when we have to make something last for a longer time than it should. After I completed my college, I ended up in a job for which I have to travel a lot and pay for my own bills. I am a freelance photographer, which is a decent earning profession. However, in the first decade of my career, I cannot afford lavish spending on something as trivial as a hotel room, where I just need to keep my bags and cameras. I know that I have to go to the hotel room just to sleep, so I have to find out such deals and do something to save money on accommodation. Let me share how I do it every time I travel around India and the world. 

Check the geographical distance to the attractions 

Hotels located in the center of a city levy exaggerated charges for their rooms. Since I do not mind taking a little walk to the attractions or use the public transport for the same, I skip such hotels and take one that is located a little away from the major places. By spending a few hundred rupees on the transportation, I can save a few thousand on accommodation, which is not a bad deal at all. However, if I have to save time for my photography projects at times, I do take an expensive hotel near my project destination. 

Avoid the package deals 

Many hotels create package deals that include unnecessary things most of the times. I prefer not to take such deals if I don’t need the amenities and hence save money. For my projects, for instance, I do need Wi-Fi to share photos, but I can skip paying for the buffet breakfast since I leave early most of the times. 

Do not use the Mini Bar 

I never, ever touch the mini bar for sodas and beverages, except for water. The drinks and chocolates in the mini bar are highly over-priced, and hence, it is no use consuming them when I can buy the same things at MRP from outside the hotel.

Book your own cabs 

The hotels provide the service to book the cab for their guests, but the cabs often charge a flat rate to take you from point A to point B. I am sure the hotel takes a cut from the bill of the cab, and I do make it a point that I either book a taxi on my own. However, if I have to travel a lot throughout the day, for instance, I take car rentals in Hyderabad or other cities to save money. The car rentals Hyderabad ultimately prove cheaper than the cabs if I have to cover multiple locations in one day.
In the end, the most important thing I do is to be polite with the staff. The front desk staff has to deal with difficult people all the time. The least I can do is to ask the person dealing with me about his/ her day and say Hi to everyone I meet on my way to the room. Although I don't expect many favors from them in exchange for this basic courtesy, I have seen it that they do make special efforts to make my stay comfortable in their hotel. Many times, I have made friends with the employees, and they also earn a loyal customer just by exchanges a few good glances. Isn’t it a great idea to implement just a few tips to save money on hotel rooms without making much effort?

No comments:

Post a Comment