Wednesday 20 December 2017

How I Realized Not to Ride an Elephant Anywhere in the World



Asia is a famous part of the world where the elephants are a common sight. Whether it is India, Thailand, or Sri Lanka, one can easily spot an elephant and take a ride on its back for fun and frolic. Whenever I would see an elephant earlier, I would ask my friends to join me for a fun trip. However, it was not too late when I realized that I should not do it. I still remember my first giant ride in Delhi when I was there with a friend who had come from Mumbai. It was around eight at night when I was there in Connaught Place, and we spotted an elephant with its mahout, the master of the animal. The man seemed to have a good reputation with the giant being, and as soon as he gestured, the elephant bowed to its front knees to let us sit on it.  

Our joy could see no bounds when we realized that we were going to ride an elephant in reality. The mahout let us sit on the square seat that he had created on the back of his tamed creature. As soon as the elephant got up, we had to grip the bars of the seating tightly to avoid falling from the top of a huge animal that we had even touched for the first time. Just in the flash of a second, I could imagine myself being trampled under the foot of the elephant if he got angry. Nevertheless, it was too much to think of when all we had to do was to hold the iron bars tightly. 

As soon as the elephant started moving, we started enjoying the bumpy ride. Although the mahout charged us a hefty amount for a two hundred-meter ride, we did enjoy the trip to the best. We wanted to be there on the back of the elephant for at least a few more minutes, but before we realized, the journey got over. We got the pictures clicked with the adorable living thing, and went ahead to have the dinner with our hearts full of joy. At several other instances, including ones in Mumbai, Ludhiana, and Kerala, I took the pleasure of elephant rides. However, it was when I was there in Mumbai when the realization dawned on me that I was indulging in a cruel act for my sake of fun.

I was there with the same friend in Mumbai who had come to my city, Delhi when we first enjoyed the ride. We had taken a Car Rental Mumbai to explore her city of dreams. While having a great time around the grand town, we spotted an elephant again. As soon as we saw the animal, we giggled and immediately decided to ride it once more and relive our memories of Delhi. We took the trip on the animal as we had resolved, but as soon as we were about to leave the place, we noticed something that changed our perception towards animals forever.  

The mahout of the animal was poking sharp iron rode on its leg when the elephant refused to obey his orders. Maybe the elephant was sick and tired for the night, but his master was not ready to let go of his earning for the day. He wanted to get more out of the elephant, but the beast was adamant not to give in. After the mahout tortured it for a couple of times more, he had no choice but to agree. It was a terrible sight to see, and I could see it in the eyes of the elephant that he would never forget a human being for treating him like this. I recalled my so-called learnings of school when I had gained the knowledge that the lions, rabbits, and elephants are tormented to entertain the humans. I immediately decided not to indulge in this heinous act of riding an elephant again in my life, and so did my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment