Tuesday 22 May 2018

How My Friend Made Me Jealous on Our Road Trip


By falling asleep as quickly as a baby! Yes, my friend Shreya made me feel so jealous of her just by sleeping so promptly at every place possible. When we were making a plan for our trip to Spiti Valley, I had told her that this might be the most inconvenient trip of her life as she would have to manage without many resources on the hills. She had not-so-confidently replied that she will be fine and that she will try her best not to complain. To my utter surprise, she never whined about anything, but it was I, who was always complaining about the mosquitoes in the mountains.

The beginning

When we began planning the trip, I went to Shreya’s home. We live in Ahmedabad in a peaceful society, so we meet often. In her room, where I went for the first time, I found quite a mess there. I did not mind as it was none of my concern to tell her to clean her room. Anyway, as I sat there with her to discuss the itinerary, she said that she was feeling sleepy and wanted to take a nap. I was okay with it as I sat with her Mom and she slept for half an hour in her room. However, it was just a beginning of what I would call pure jealousy, maybe not negative in literal sense.

As we began our trip by going ahead towards the airport, she fell asleep in the cab. It was again fine as people often sleep when tired, and it was already 11 pm. I have seen her sleeping at the airport, in the airplane, in the cab, on the rocks, on the ground, and at every impossible place. Once Shreya is asleep, it does not matter to her whether she is in a theater, at the railway station, or among the terrorists playing with their guns! She would keep snoring so loud to put even the bravest men on shame.

As soon as we sat in our Car Rental Ahmedabad, she was excited to drive, but I was anxious about her sleeping while driving. I raised my concerns to her, but she assured me that I could take rest peacefully and sleep for a while as she drives. She promised that she would drive carefully without falling asleep. I must mention that her slumbering problem had become the butt of our jokes by then!

What makes me jealous?

I hate to admit that I need quite a few, or many comforts to fall asleep properly. I need my two pillows with perfect size, a perfect place, and perfectly matching with each other to begin my sleeping process. Even when the entire world is conspiring to make me dead to the world, I have to wake up one last time to pee! And when I finally sleep after struggling for like an entire lifetime, I see weird dreams throughout the night! What on earth do I need to sleep as beautifully as Shreya does? No, she does not snore; I was kidding, but I am jealous for sure.
It is not that I don’t get tired enough to fall asleep soon. Despite feeling exhausted after a long day, I don’t feel like sleeping so soon. And here is my friend who dies for the world for eight hours every night. I don't know when I will figure out the mystery behind such a quick and sound sleep. Till then, let me be green-eyed, probably for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment