Friday 17 August 2018

How I Met a Bad Traveler on My Road Trip to Chennai


Meeting people online is nothing new these days. Although I don’t prefer making romantic relationships online, I still end up having a crush on someone or the other whom I meet through different forums. I have been a member of Chennai travelers’ groups since three years, and have met a few amazing people through the road trips that this group organizes. However, my last experience with meeting a guy last month turned out to be horrible.

I was on my road trip with a group in a bus to Mahabalipuram. I found myself attracted to a guy named Shreyas, who worked as a civil engineer in Bangalore. Although I did not initiate any conversation with him, I wanted to listen to him as he talked with his friends. I knew that it was quite objectionable according to the Indian standards to act romantic with a stranger, so we decided that we will meet in Chennai once the road trip was over. Did I forget to mention that he looked very handsome?

We met at a fancy fine dining restaurant, and I showed up wearing my best outfit. While we waited to take our reserved seat, we had a pleasant conversation. When the waitress asked us about the order, he ordered a cocktail for me and a glass of scotch for himself. I told him that I don’t take alcohol, but he dodged my opinion saying that it is a mild ladies’ drink. Even though I did not like what he did, I still preferred to ignore it thinking that it might ruin the meeting. Probably that is why; he assumed that I would not mind anything he ordered.

While we were scanning the menu to order the main course, he ordered mutton kebab for me as I was going through the non-veg section. I told him that I don’t like mutton, but he again gave his logic that there is no difference between chicken and mutton as both are meats. So he decided that he would order one mutton kebab and mutton biryani for us. He argued that it is no use being so picky about meat unless someone is vegetarian.

When the waitress showed up, he snatched the menu card from my hand and placed the order as he wished. I looked at her and asked, “I had seen a sign board of Self-Drive Cars in Chennai, can you book one for me?”

He was perplexed as I said that and asked me, “Why do you want to book a Car Rental right now?”

I could not resist being blunt and said, “I don’t like your company and the way you are imposing your opinions on me. You are no one to decide what I should eat or drink. Thank you for your company, but we are not meeting again.”

I picked up my bag and left the place without bothering to look at him again. Thank God I did not hear from him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment