Tuesday 14 August 2018

My Experience as a Foreigner in India


I had heard a lot of nasty stories about India along with the pleasant ones that were just too many to count. I was very apprehensive about this country before I decided to visit India with my kids. My husband was too worried about three of us, but I assured him that I will keep him updated about us every day. He relaxed a bit and sent me and our two little kiddos on our excursion to India.

I found India unbelievably safe and friendly!

My friends would not believe me whenever I told them that I met friendly people in India, which is a safe country unlike the opinion of many people. They were flabbergasted when I told them that my kids were also comfortable on their own in some places.

Yes, there are several true reports of crimes like murders, rapes, mob lynching, and corruption in India. However, I had already researched a lot about traveling in India and I followed the rules I had laid for myself and my babies. And I must say, all went well for me, even too good to be true sometimes. Of course, there were some issues at some places, but I have never found a perfect place in the world. How can I expect India to be an epitome of perfection?

While I was there in India, I realized that men do not have many safety concerns in India, but women do need to worry more about being safe at all times. In addition to the timing of wandering around, I also needed to take care about the places I chose for my vacation. My friends had told me that since I was going there with my children, I would be targeted less by the crooks, which turned out to be strangely true.

When I was in Mumbai, I would hire Self-Drive Cars in Navi Mumbai to travel to places. However, whenever I had to go to smaller cities or hamlets, I made it a point to take the contact numbers of local taxi drivers who were trusted enough. Moreover, I could wear almost anything that covered at least half my body in the urban cities, but I covered myself completely with cotton clothes while I was there in small towns.

Whenever I traveled by train, I used to book the upper birth for all of us, especially at night. Moreover, I never traveled too late at any place unless I had befriended another traveler from the hostel. I had to be highly assertive at times when the locals would pursue me to buy anything or accompany them to a place. I would blatantly refuse to do anything they forced me to do.

At many places, people would come to me and ask for a group photo, but I never minded that. Indians are friendly people in general, even though I never trusted anyone blindly. All in all, I had a pleasant experience in this chaotic, yet welcoming country.

No comments:

Post a Comment