Thursday 2 August 2018

How My Trip to Chennai Turned Out Awful


There was just one mistake that I had made, but I had to pay a huge price for it when I was traveling to Chennai last month. I had made the mistake of choosing a wrong travel buddy, and she ruined my entire vacation in the new city. I had been waiting to go to Chennai since a long time, and when I could finally do it, I brought the misery on myself.

The incompatibility

I don’t know why but it never crossed my mind to check my like-mindedness with my friend, Shreya, on grounds beyond having a lunch together. We had met for a few hours many times before that vacation. Even though I felt that she was a little reserved, I did not mind going on a vacation with her. Now I realize that I should have spent at least a night with her at her place or mine to understand her habits. When were on our way to Chennai in train, I realized that she was an extremely lazy person who would never lift a finger to do her chores if she had someone to do them for her. I had to fetch water for her because she would convince me that she could not or did not want to go and buy it. I ended up being her mother on train who would take care of everything.

The budget issues

I prefer to save money wherever I can, yet I want to have a few luxuries at some times when I require them. I wanted to visit quite a few temples in Chennai, but using public transport for traveling is a pain in the city. Therefore, I offered to hire Self-Drive Cars in Chennai, but she blatantly refused to pitch in for it because it was an expensive option. Car hire would indeed put a little pressure on our pockets, but considering the amount we spent on auto-rickshaws and trains, it would have been only a little higher than that amount. It was not at all worth the inconvenience we had to face just to save a little money. We had realized that the private cabs and auto-rickshaws are way too expensive for the travelers in the city, but Shreya refused to budge from her opinion. At the end of every day, we would have sore feet! Was it all worth it? Not at all.

Even though I had a worse trip, I took my lessons that I need to choose my travel companions wisely. I need to spend much more time with them than I did with Shreya so that we all can understand each other better. There has to be a basic level of willingness to adjust with each other so that no one in the group feels offended. Regarding money, I need to know more about the inclination of people to pool in. In short, I will be careful for my future vacations so that I don’t end up ruining my precious time and money.


No comments:

Post a Comment