Monday 19 November 2018

How I Deal with Difficult People While Traveling Solo


Even though I am an urban Indian female, the challenges of traveling solo are no less for me. I have been lucky to live in Delhi for most part of my life, but I have seen the small town life as well. The narrow minded perspective of the North Indian society makes it challenging for women to travel alone, no matter the distance. With a significant number of experience at hand, I have learned that there I no way I can teach the right way to behave to some people, regardless the gender. There are men, as well as, women who do not know that they need to conduct themselves carefully in public places. However, I know how I should give them a piece of my mind to warn them immediately.

Dealing with men  

Luckily, there are men in my home who are very polite and understanding. I have been to several road trips with them, and we had a blast every time. Yet, when I had to travel alone for the first time, my choice was Rishikesh. Even though I had thought that I would not face any issues, I found that men would not stop staring at me. Yes, I accept the curiosity of men about foreigner and native women who are brave enough to travel alone, or wear modern clothes. Still, the stares from ogling men is not acceptable.

There was a man in the train to Rishikesh who was fiddling with his phone as I enjoyed my journey to my destination. He was smiling while looking at his phone, and I thought that he must be enjoying a funny chat with someone or looking at photos. He was keeping his bags underneath his seat when I heard the sound of flash from somewhere. As I looked up, he was clearly confused about something. It took me a minute to register that he had clicked a picture of mine without my consent.

I went up to him and asked him to hand over his phone. He clearly denied and said that he was clicking pictures of the landscape outside, but did not want to give his phone. All that argument made sure that he had clicked my picture, or probably someone else’s photo, but I had to take an action anyway. People had turned to us within a minute or argument and a guy asked him to do as I had said, or he would report him to police. Thanks to the supportive crowd in the coach that I could check his phone at ease.

He had snapped my photos, as well as of many other females inside the train. When I told this to everyone, they wanted to beat that man, but a few sensible stopped the mob and they warned him t behave in public. I hope that he had got his lesson about public conduct.

Dealing with women

No just men, but women can be really rude at times. I had hired a Car Rental Delhi last month so that I could go to the movies with my friends in South Delhi. Even though this region of the national capital is supposed to be more sophisticated, we had an entirely different experience altogether. My friends had traveled all the way from Jaipur just to celebrate an evening, but there was a women who pushed Rohit, my college friend. She alleged that he was misbehaving her and had pushed her. We were shocked, but we dealt with her sternly, and she had a good dose of learning from all of us along with the public around.

Traveling alone is a great deal of challenge sometimes, but that does not stop me from going solo. I accept the everyday contests and take them as opportunities to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment