Monday 26 November 2018

How I Learned Different Things Being a Traveler?


When I ventured out for my first solo trip, I never knew that I would turn out to become a spiritual soul. Although I could not attend the Vipasana or meditation classes in McLeodganj, I have it in my mind to do so sometime because I need at least two weeks of vacation for that. Nevertheless, after traveling to different cities and countries, I now know that I need to collect memories, not souvenirs. Oh yes, I don’t mind buying a few things of course. Let me share how I evolved to become a better human being just by spending some money on my road trips.

Being inquisitive

I used to be curious all the time when I was a school student, but I never knew that this curiousness will give me a restless life. Everything that I see or view online or offline intrigues me to the extent that I end up extending my bucket list every year. My curiosity has taken me to Ladakh, Spiti Valley, Kerala, North-East India, and Gujrat. It is just a short list of the places that I have managed to visit, and each one of them mesmerizes me every time I go there. Being curious is what I know has made humans what they are. Had we been ambitionless fellows, we would still be living in Stone Age. Thank God we have evolutions, inventions, and discoveries by our side.

Being humble

What else would you call the desire to learn? To learn everything that I can in this tiny life that I have got. To learn about the different cultures of the world? To learn and listen to the different languages that people speak. I had heard about a village where they do not have a language to communicate; they connect with each other just by using whistles and gestures. Amazing, isn’t it? I
Being curious is one thing, but it is impractical if you are not humble. I gained humility as I met unpretentious people around the country. Fortunately, I am born and brought up in India, where humility is a part of Indian upbringing. Even when we can afford expensive things, my parents have taught me to be open-minded to gain grounded experiences in life. When we went Udaipur, we could hire Self drive cars in Jaipur, but my father was adamant to travel by train because he wanted to experience the rawness of it. Crazy fellow he is, but we certainly enjoyed a lot.

Being empathetic

I also learnt that being empathetic does not only mean to be able to understand the pain of others; it also means to leave people alone when they need it. Thanks to the modern self-help books, blogs, and what not that we have started realizing the value of solitary time. I give space and demand the same in every relationship, and all of them are peaceful bonds that I share with my closed ones.

I have seen marriages going sour just because people do not understand each other; all they lack is empathy. The Indian countrymen have taught me to smile and let go things when the wind in not flowing in your direction. Ignorance is bliss, and being with terrible room partners have gave me a good grounding in this direction. I have fathomed that there is no use arguing over spilled milk if your roommate is not ready to admit their mistake. It is better to let go and explain using some other tactic. And it is travel only that has taught me to recognize people’s need to be as they are, rather than asking them to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment