Wednesday 2 January 2019

Why Traveling Makes You More Appreciative


Travel makes you more indebted to whatever you have got in your life; at least I have experienced it for sure. Until I was in school, I had never thought that I have got a lot of things in life, which are way more than what people have in half of the world. I never knew that just a roof on my head makes me a wealthier person than millions of others. When I started traveling on my own, I discovered what it meant to possess things in this materialistic world.

The home cooked food

No doubt travel is a humbling experience and I love each moment of it. However, there have been times when I have literally craved for the basic homemade meal. I hail from Hyderabad; I start missing my staple food even when I am just a few hundred kilometers away from home. It does not mean that I want to return home as soon as possible, but it makes me realize the importance of a healthy meal. If I try to eat the authentic local foods in foreign countries, I am on the verge of killing my budget. And it becomes too difficult to survive on McDonalds for weeks, even though it is the most economical food available anywhere in the world.

I miss the bed

Over the years, I have made my room such that I can find out everything in dark without even opening my eyes. I know my room inside out, each wall of it, and every single thing that lies on the floor. I love to keep it messy and I even tell my mom to never clean it. I find peace in the things that I own. However, when I am away from home for a few weeks or months, I start hating the hotel beds. Even the hostel dorms do not appeal me anymore, and I just want to go home as soon as possible. And when I reach back into my room, I feel like hugging everything even though I can’t. Nevertheless, I can hug my pillows and have a sound sleep.

I miss my family

I hate to confess this, but I had started neglecting my family after years of staying with them. I should have appreciated their efforts in bringing me up, but I was doing the exact opposite. However, when I started being out of the home for studies in a different city, I learned their value. I would crave to hug my mom and they would obviously miss me too. Then, on their anniversary, I looked for the best Self-Drive Cars in Hyderabad and sent them on a romantic drive.

They still remember that day and praise me for what I did for them, but I refuse to take the credit. After all, it was just a small token of love for everything that they had done for me. Is it wrong to say that staying out of home made me more appreciative of everything I have in life? I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment