Monday 7 January 2019

Why Driving in India is a Challenge I Like to Take


A few things about India are so delightful that they keep pulling me back. Even though I am an Indian, I feel like a foreigner whenever I travel to some other corner of the country. That is why; every day of the vacation becomes an adventurous one, no matter where I am. However, driving on the Indian roads is something that keeps me on my toes every moment. I cannot afford to blink my eyes even for a second because of the challenges looming forever on the roads. As they say, you must not use a mobile phone while driving as it can be dangerous; it can be fatal in India. If you are not vigilant enough, it will take just a second to lose your life. Thankfully, I have never been involved in any serious injury, but a few minor accidents have taught me the value of keeping a watchful eye each second on the road.

The users of the road

I had always heard that the roads in Singapore speak volumes about cleanliness, and it is true. I have been to Singapore and they have impeccably clean roads. You may invite a huge fine if you break the traffic rules. On the other hand, we have barely any traffic rules; we don’t follow them even if we have. The roads in India are meant for everyone without any specific lanes for heavy and light vehicles.

It is a common sight to find cars, auto-rickshaws, e-rickshaws, manual rickshaws, buses in all sizes, and trucks on just one road. No one is bothered to follow the lanes and hence, we have the great Indian traffic jam. To worsen the situation, we have cattle on the road along with dogs, cats, elephants, and horses. Yes, the generous Indian public never minds the animals on the roads. In fact, we try to save the animals whenever they cross the road even if it means losing a human life. This is not something to be proud of, yet, I cannot help it but manage with the situation.

Driving sense

It is again a sorry fact to admit but Indians have poor traffic sense. It is fun for them to jump the traffic lights, cross the road with oncoming vehicles, cause obstructions by changing lanes without notice, and abuse others if they overtake. In a country where everything can be done with bribe, most people get their licenses made without even giving a driving test. They learn driving just when they come on the road with their car or bike and a family member or a friend to teach them. It implies that people do not prefer to learn from the driving instructors, but from already underqualified drivers. Hence, the outcome is unqualified drivers who would do anything to get their way on the road.
It is a serious task to reach your destination safely, but by the virtue of being an Indian, I have got used to driving in India. In fact, I love the challenge. I like to book Self Driven Car in Mumbai and drive when the roads are relatively empty at night; it is the best time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment