Monday 30 March 2020

How I Avoid Having a Severe Jet Lag Post a Long Flight


I firmly believe that I cannot completely avoid jet lag, but I can minimize its effects. I hate long journeys, but I cannot avoid them because of professional and personal commitments. Sometimes, I have to be in the same airplane for more than 48 hours.  Even I get a couple of breaks between the airports, I cannot hate the airports more for how tiring they can be. In the initial days of my air travel, I used to sleep for at least two days in a row after the long haul flight. However, I learned to avoid the symptoms of jet lag with time, and now I exit the airport much fresher in my body and mind than earlier.

Say no to cold foods

Even though I love cold coffee with ice cream, I never consume them over a long flight. Cold foods and drinks are difficult to digest and they make it difficult to fall asleep. That is why, I always ask the air hostesses to provide me with a clear hot soup, either vegetarian or non-vegetarian. I do love cappuccino but I don’t take it while flying. Hot foods are easier to digest and hence, do not disturb my sleeping cycle. I can eat anything hot while flying, but nothing cold. And, I never consume alcohol as well because it dehydrates my body.

I love my pillow

I have a little pillow in my home specially reserved for traveling because it fits my backpack really well. I just take out my regular pillow out of my bag once I am seated well in the aircraft and doze off to take a nap. I have never liked the concept of travel pillows because they seem just too flashy to me. They hardly provide any comfort to me and I have to carry it outside my backpack, which defeats its purpose. My regular pillow is compact in size and soft enough to fit my bag and I love it. When I travel with friends or family, I also use it to sleep in my Car Rentals Rishikesh because the road travel after the flight is often too much to reach our destination.

The essential oils

If there is something that can make me sleep is my favorite lavender oil. The aromatherapy never fails to make me fall asleep whenever I am uncomfortable in my seat. I have to make sure that I sprinkle a few drops on my pillow whenever a fellow passenger is disturbing me too much.
I don’t know why but air travel is never a pleasant experience for me. That is why; I have to make sure that I take proper rest on the flight itself so that I don’t have to waste my precious vacation time at my destination city. I used to get frustrated in the beginning of my travel days because I would get so tired that I didn’t want to do anything. However, I have learned to avoid jet lag the hard way, but I have done it finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment