Tuesday 31 March 2020

Things I Achieve When I Travel Slow


When I was a tourist, I would often visit new places, stay there for 3-4 days, absorb as much as I could, and then leave for home or the next destination. It was thrilling to live like a tourist for a few years, but then I got tired of it. I had to have something new in my travel routine, and then I decided to explore slow travel.

In the earlier days, people traveled slow and stayed in one destination for several days out of compulsion because quicker modes of travel were not available. Very few people had cars, and most travelers traveled by either public transport or waterways. However, the times have changed and now I see everyone opting for airplanes instead of cars to reach their destinations as soon as possible.
When I used to live in Delhi, I would often think of traveling to different places. And the first thing that came to my mind is that I must book my flight for the required dates so that I can get it cheap. I must save my time and money and travel for a quick weekend getaway.

However, I completely missed the point of travel.

I realized it only after getting tired that traveling to a place does not mean just touching its surface. I must live in a city like the locals do, and I stopped booking hotels for my stay. I started opting for the homestays to save money, and have the warmth of the home. I like to cook my own food, which doesn’t cost much in the first place, and also gives the feeling of being at home.

I have stopped clicking too many photos of the places I visit. I try to talk to the locals about what they do, who they are, and what they like. It is interesting to listen to their opinions of the world. Some of the locals I meet have never stepped out of their city, and they don’t have an open mind. On the contrary, a few people have astonished me with their open-mindedness without even traveling to places. They like to believe in ‘Live and Let Live’ thought process.

I have also met many travelers who are a previous version of me. They stay for a couple of days in my homestays, pretend to indulge with the people around them, and then leave for their next destination. I have seen people booking Self-Drive Cars in Rihsikesh just to do temple hopping in two days along with bungee jumping and rafting. I truly believe that one just cannot travel too much in such a short span of time. You have to say no to many amazing experiences just because you are short of time.

I have traveled quickly to several places in just a few days for several years in a row, but I now realize the futility of it. I love to stay at one place now, absorb it as much as I can, live like I have lived there forever, and then move to the next place.

No comments:

Post a Comment