Tuesday 7 April 2020

How I began traveling the world on my own after 50


India is a place where women are taught to follow their husband’s footsteps, even when you are a successful working women. I have been in the workforce since the age of 22 years, but I followed the traditionally laid down path of an Indian woman. I got married at 29, had a baby by 31, and had my second baby by 34. It drained out all my energy, physically and mentally, to bring up that family and provide my husband and kids with all that they needed, all of that while being a working woman. It was only when I crossed 45 years of age that I started feeling the itch for spending time with myself. Living for others had already taken a lot of time of my living on the planet.

I discussed traveling at least 5-6 times a year with my husband, but he didn’t have any such plans. He was content at living the regular family life, but the good part is that he encouraged me to explore myself. He didn’t stop me from traveling on my own, and told me to get rid of the stigma of being too old for solo travel. His words were quite a boost to my confidence, and I was back to my original self in just one day.

No one in the world can be a better companion than your spouse, and my husband proved it right. As soon as he knew that I want to be on my own, he started telling my kids not to taunt or discourage me for going out alone. Rishi and Kanika, my adorable babies had grown up so quickly, and they became elated at the thought that it was so cool for their mom to go for a solo trip.

Rishi booked two self-drive cars in Delhi and Dehradun respectively so that I can travel comfortably to the hills, and explore my driving skills at the same time. Even though I told him that I may not be able to drive on the hills after so many years, he reminded me that he had seen me driving on the roads of Shimla when he was 5 years old. Even though Dad was constantly poking his nose while I was driving at that time, he said he remembered how he had scolded dad not to disturb me while driving. And it was only after that moment that my husband had sat quietly and Rishi enjoyed sitting in the front seat with me.

Kanika found the best camps for me in Tosh, and they all gifted me a bottle of wine that I could enjoy when I sat with myself. At that moment, I realized that my little kids had grown really mature and they were truly a family anyone would want. It was just one trip alone to manali and tosh, driving all the way on my own, that I actually began my traveling expedition for many years to come. And now it has been 10 years that I have been traveling solo without worrying about home or office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment