Wednesday 24 June 2020

How I Quit Homeschooling My Toddler


When I started homeschooling my 2.5 year old baby boy, Shaurya, I had never thought that teaching would be such a tough job. Since I was living in the USA at that time after visiting 26 countries with my husband, I thought of settling down there for a few years until Shaurya grows up. Since pre-school is very expensive in the USA, I decided to homeschool my kid until he is ready to enter the kindergarten, which would give me time to enhance my income.

The first few months of teaching him the alphabet were really awesome. I would often spend an hour or two on the internet learning how to teach the alphabet to my toddler. I didn’t mind spending the extra hours on my laptop to learn becoming a teacher myself, but the process became tough as Shaurya grew older. I had to spend more time in learning the teaching process myself, which started becoming frustrating. Moreover, I realized that I am not capable to homeschool him forever. I would have to either enroll him for online classes or send him to a regular school in the years to come.

Since I knew that the USA was not affordable at all in terms of buying a house, paying the school fees, and paying other bills, I decided to move to my home country, India. I have grown up in India and I know that there is a wide range of affordable schools here that I can afford for my kid. Even though I want to visit various countries and cities while bringing up a family, I want to be in a country where I can afford all my expenses.

Since my language interpretation work pays good money, I don’t have to worry about joining a regular office. However, Shaurya needs regular schooling at least for a few years in his early education.

We moved to India two years ago, and I decided to settle down in Delhi near my parents’ home. They are happy to have us here and I am content to know that I have someone when I need them to take care of my baby. I can leave Shaurya with them for a few days as I travel with my husband to different places for work and leisure. The setting makes it easier for Shaurya to not miss his school and we don’t have to miss travel either. We often use a car booking app to drive to and from their home and then go for a weekend trip.

The best part about regular schooling is that the kid gets to interact with other kids of his age, which contributes to his language development and social skills expansion. Since the day he has started going to kindergarten, he has shown tremendous growth in communicating with other kids in the neighborhood, even though the first few weeks were really tough for him.

I know that my travel dreams may remain slightly unfulfilled, but I don’t mind forgoing them for a few years for the sake of a better future of a baby that I have brought to this world. Until Shaurya grows up, we don’t mind becoming the weekend travelers, and we can resume our fulltime traveling when it is the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment