Friday 5 June 2020

How I Protect My Camera while Traveling


Whenever I think of traveling, I think of photos and then Instagram and then hashtags. I have clicked at least 5K to 6K finished photos until now, forget the raw ones, I cannot even count them. There was a time when I used to click photos using my smartphone for my blog. However, they were never too good to be uploaded on my website. Still, I had to be content with it because I could not afford a DSLR until college. And when I bought my favorite Nikon camera, I never knew that I would love it like my baby.

Now whenever I go out for a photoshoot, I have to take care of it all the time, but I don’t mind it at all. The first thing that I realized after buying it was that I have to have a good quality padded camera bag. My friend, Rohan, had lost his camera to a thief because his camera bag was too flashy I guess. He became an easy target for the thief and he swore that he would never buy such a bag again. And from that incident, I also learnt that I must buy a bag that doesn’t look like a typical camera bag. I have a sling bag that appears to be carrying books in it, and the look on the acquaintance’s faces is worth seeing when I take out a camera out of it.

The next thing that I do is to keep my camera with me all the time. When I fly, I never send the camera in the checked-in luggage. I don’t trust the airlines guys to handle my fragile things safely. I have seen them throwing even the bags with fragile notice without care. That is why; I keep my camera with me in my hand luggage.

Secondly, if I am driving my Car Rentals in Mumbai, which I often do for my professional photo shoots, I never keep the camera or the lenses inside the car. Yes, I can use the boot space to keep my valuables, but India is not a country to be trusted for the expensive stuff. The thieves here are the most clever breed of humans, and they are too smart to outsmart us. It is only in the emergency circumstances that I keep something valuable in the boot.

I used to love showing off the Nikon logo whenever I went for a shoot. The aspiring photographers especially love to notice their dream equipment with someone. I understand this feeling because I have also felt this for a long time. However, there were instances when the crooks also noticed the camera too.

Thankfully, I have never been robbed, but a few instances like this changed my perspective and I have started hiding the branding on my camera. Every Nikon logo on the camera or the equipment is now hidden under the black duct tape.

I know I might be overprotective for my camera, but I have been able to afford it after a long time of saving money during college. I don’t want to lose it too soon because I have seen veteran photographers taking care of their gear like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment