Friday 31 August 2018

How My Parents Made a Road Trip Unforgettable


Indian parents are difficult to understand sometimes, especially when they do things out of normal. Since my younger sister and I were brought up with typically conservative values, we were not habitual of the idea of parents romancing with each other. However, Mom and Dad decided to impart a valuable lesson to us on our road trip to Manali. We left for our vacation early in the morning and reached Kasol around evening after a hectic journey even though we had a car to travel.

We checked into the hotel, had dinner at a local café, and then came back to sleep. We had planned to go further to explore Kasol and then move to Tosh and other locations afterwards. I had a long list of places to explore since I wanted to write about them for my blog. I insisted on taking everyone along since I thought that this was the only way we could spend quality time with each other.

My parents had something else in their mind. They told us that they want to spend some time alone, and hence, they would be there in Tosh for two days. We were shocked to know that we will be going to the Kheerganga trek alone!

It was then that things started making sense to me. When I had asked Mom about how she will carry on the Kheerganga trek with tremendous pain in her knees, she had replied that she would do it by any means. When I had asked Dad how he would bear the cold weather and risky trails of the trek, he also had said it that he did not have a problem with it. Moreover, they had convinced me and Shalu, my sister that they were so excited about this trip.

So, we had looked for Self Drive Cars Delhi Airport and booked one Swift Dezire using a discount coupon. We drove all the way to the mountains only to discover that the parents will be staying alone in a camp in Tosh and we, the vulnerable kids, will be trekking on our own.

Even though we were annoyed with them, Shalu and I left for the Kheerganga trek. When we were on our way to our destination situation atop a mountain, we discovered that all our anger vanished in a while. We actually started enjoying our journey. Since there was no mobile signal, we could not contact our parents until we reached back to Tosh. Nevertheless, Shalu and I felt that we talked much more than we did in Delhi about our lives during our journey and in our camp on the mountaintop.
When we returned, Mom and Dad seemed blissful and they explained to us that having a solitary time is necessary for a couple. Dad said that we kids will understand the value of lonely time when we get married. We had no choice but to agree with them, but one thing is sure that we all had a great time, even though it was an unconventional road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment