Friday 7 September 2018

How I Learned More about Tigers and Lions in Rajasthan


I had always thought that the staff members in national parks befriend the wild animals, no matter the species. I always wondered that since people in these places spend time with wild cats since their birth, they must have a special bond with them. However, having a word with my guide at the Ranthambore National Park completely changed my perspective.

I planned to visit a few places in Rajasthan with my family. We took a car on rent in Noida and left for a memorable road trip. The journey was not too long, and hence, we did not feel much tired. After visiting a few monuments and historical places, we were excited to meet the wild animals.

Our guide, Ramesh, was a nice fellow and he had many stories to tell us. Needless to say that he had spent a great deal of time in Ranthambore National Park, and had befriended many animals including tigers, hennas, and monkeys. It was fun watching him playing with his friends, who would appear so scary to us. I asked Ramesh if it was possible for him or any other person to be friends with a wild animal just like we are good with domestic animals. I wanted to know if the wild animals could be as loyal to the humans as dogs or cats.

Ramesh gave a straight answer, “No!”

I was astonished hearing him say that because he was playing with a tigress moments ago. As my kids and wife were busy watching other animals and birds, I tried to explore more from Ramesh. He said that no matter how kindly we behave with the wild cats, or vice versa, they can never be loyal to the humans. He narrated the tale of his friendship with Krishna, the male lion.

As Ramesh told, “the lion was almost etched on my life as we both played for hours together. Even when Krishna grew three years old, he did not stop being playful with me. We bonded really well together. For some time, I felt that this huge lion is my best friend in the jungle, and that he would protect me, just in case. But no, I was wrong. Being predacious is the basic instinct of any lion, and he could become aggressive even if I make slightest mistake. He could have killed me any day, and I stopped meeting him beyond a distance.”

As he said those words, my heart felt like it had stopped beating. The words coming out from Ramesh’s mouth had a seriousness attached to them, and I could tell it from his eyes that he was not lying. He also talked about a tigress, who had become his friend since her birth in the jungle. When she became a mother, he even helped her nurse her cubs. Even then, she can become aggressive whenever any guide or friend makes a mistake. One lesson that I learned from this trip to Ranthambore National Park is that whatever I see in the internet videos is not true. I need to view everything with a pinch of salt. An unforgettable road trip indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment