Monday 14 January 2019

Why I Love Staycation More than Anything


I believe in staycations more because of my long-term plans, not because I am an extremely frugal person, which I am in reality to some extent. I like to spend a good time in my home country, right here in India. I have a hard core belief that India is a beautiful country and I don’t need to go abroad for at least a few years until I save some money.

Last year, one of my friends was in the UK. We used to talk daily about our respective lives in different countries, and not even once, did I feel the urge to go there for an extended vacation, despite her constant urging. I explained it to her that it is difficult for me to take a long break from the job because it would be an unpaid leave. On the other hand, I would have to spend almost all my savings of the years just to buy the tickets to her city in the UK. I knew that I would not have to worry about food, but I would definitely have to spend for the travel tickets to different cities and other activities. I do not regret compromising that vacation because I did not have money. On the other hand, I could focus on my long term goals as I knew that expensive vacations can come later. I could always travel around India at a much lesser cost.

Over time, I have traveled to a lot of cities in India, and I am bored to them to some extent. After traveling on a budget for years, I look for a bit of luxury in days out of the city now. Wherever I choose to go, I prefer to have a few days of exploring new things and have a couple of days just to relax and unwind. I like to think back about things that happen in life, and reflect on random occurrences. I just love that solitary time.

When I was in Kumaoni, I stayed at a local person’s home for a week at a ridiculously cheap price. They treated me with warmth and I wandered around aimlessly for two days after I was done with sightseeing. Even the host family was amazed at my choice of vacation because they had seen people going crazy over vacations, and I was there leaning in the chair as the sun set every day. Camping with reputed hosts is also a great idea and I had done with a company in Bir. They keep you indulged in activities within the proximity of their camps so that no one gets bored.

When I was in Jaipur, I booked a hostel and had a marvelous time with other travelers. I even booked Self drive cars in Jaipur and maneuvered around the city to look for exciting things other than forts. Being alone gives great opportunities to talk to the locals, and blend with them at their own pace without rushing to see places or do things. Staycations- I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment